Wednesday 30 March 2011

Me 'I like the Taj mahal' Alicia 'I like the toilets...i mean dogs'

Agra. Alicia is ill again...on entering the site the first thing she says 'what if I am sick on the Taj Mahal?', we began walking slowly but due to sitting, then standing, then sitting my trousers split...I search my bag  for some safety pins, no such forward planning.... not wanting to sit anymore, this is when we separated... it means in my most unsympathetic manner I can walk around the Taj in peace...we both admit that this time alone time was great. My irritating superstitious mind is given a boost again when I look down and see on the floor... a safety pin, the Taj is showing me some love :) I can now pin my trouser leg up! Magic.

The Taj is probably the tourist hub of India, we are charged 750rs to see the Taj when locals are charged something like 25rs but in my opinion despite the crowds and the unashamed tourist quota it was worth it. For those who dont know the story it was built in memory of Shah Jahan's most loved wife who died in childbirth, he had it built in her memory to be the most beautiful building in the world and I actually think it is. It is nigh on perfectly symmetrical and has no backdrop but the sky, which makes it dazzling from a distance and as you get closer it honestly gets more impressive. My favorite part was the interior chamber, the stone work was immense and beautiful...literally every part of this building is perfect. My only complaint was the night time illumination, though i suppose if it was illuminated you would not get the brilliant moonlight to the same effect. Magnificent.

As we leave, I meet Alicia from the toilets, we watch some dogs playing. I confessed my love for the monument, Alicia subconsciously confesses her love for the toilets. Back at the hotel India have won their game against Pakistan, Happy Times! We watch some rather disappointing fireworks from our roof, one in particular gained a response from me 'Well that was a fail of a pancake...I mean firework'. Clearly we are both losing our minds, I didn't even eat a pancake that day.

On to Rajasthan, The Land of The Kings. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment