Monday 21 March 2011

The early bird catches the...RHINO!

Six am sharp is the time to get up, have pre-ordered breakfast (I was predictably disappointed with my previous evenings choice, consisting of spicy potatoes), and be in our wooden canoe with Ishaw, and the gardener by 7am!
Luxury :)

 Ishaw was a mine of knowledge and I can't think of many things better than bird watching in Nepal. He lent us his extra strong binoculars everytime he spotted something even though we had our own, I absolutely loved it. I have tried to remember a few names...fact retention is not one of my qualities... Pied Wagtail (we have these in England), Siberian Duck (migratory), Peacock (noisy), spotted deer, barking deer, Egret, Black Ibis (pretty cool), swallows, Pied Kingfisher, White-breasted Kingfisher (officially my new favourite bird).
Egret

Swallow homes, comparable to hobbit holes.

Only crashed a few times.
After the bird watching we were lead into the forest for a two hour walk. There were lots of spiders. Curious about the plants and creatures, I was eager to ask questions so I turned to the man following us 'Is this spider poisonous?' I enquired. Silence twinned with a look of fear was his response.  I guessed he may not speak English (either that or he thought the spider was terrifyingly deadly) so, always one for perseverance, I tried an buffoon inspired charade: pointing at a spider, I mimed it looking angry and then biting (is this spider dangerous?), again my well acted question was followed by look of confusion, Alicia did however join in with a laugh. Ishaw returned from his 'toilet' and was able to inform me that no, this spider is fine. The gardener (for that is what he is) almost certainly thinks I'm an idiot.

 Ishaw led the way and the gardener followed at the rear. Mere minutes in to our walk, we were halted, Ishaw darted...like lightening...up a tree.

When he reached the ground again "Rhino's 50 meters away". Thats pretty close, I thought. And as we walked slowly in to the grasses we saw two beauties! Absolutely Amazing!!!! They were casually chomping their breakfast of crunchy grass. I am content.

[a video is meant to go here but it refuses to load]

After watching the rhinos for  some time we followed Ishaw on a crocodile mission. I am eager to see the fascinating Gharial after doing some research in response to my father enquiring "What are those Gary crocodiles? will you see them?" I had no idea what he was talking about, until I saw CBBC's 'Deadly 60', thankfully Steve Backshall does his job well. Unfortunately I was disappointed. We did however see a short nosed crocodile. He was basking on the opposite bank. I am of the opinion that it moved so little, it could quite easily have been a plastic crocodile put there for tourists to gawp at...Alicia thinks I'm silly...it could be true. We also saw some distant hornbills, lots and lots of butterflies, loads of cotton bugs and sloth bear poo.


I held a massive and beautiful cotton bug, Alicia was too scared, reducing Ishaw to laughter. I have now realised my new idol: Michaela Strachan.

Arriving back at our hotel at around 11am, we quickly changed and went down to the river. Here any travellers concern about unclean water left us... we were offered the back or an elephant! Clambering barefoot on to the back of one of earths largest land animals (pipped tot he top by it's African relative), has to be one of the most incredible things in the world. She was beautiful. She lumbered as a gentle giant into the river and then she began the game...squirting us with jet after jet of water, we were soaked instantly. Then as she began to roll playfully they Mahut shouted 'Jump!' and we fell with a crash into the water! In the water the elephant knelt down and kindly let us climb back up, using her knee as a leg up. The game was repeated. Elephants are amazing. Soaked to the bone and no longer sweltering in the heat, grinning, the only word to describe my emotion was pure elation.

After lunch we had an elephant safari...two hours on the back of an epephant is one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever done...bare back is by far easier. We were sat with two other tourist in a box like frame banging about. It was still beyond awesome though. We saw more deer, more butterflies, more monkeys, a mongoose and another rhino. spectacular! My favorite part was when the elephant decided it wanted to stop and play with a twig bashing it around for ages until it got told off.
Other things that were cool today: Ishaw called me little sister, he had told us earlier that didi is big sister and bini is little sister in nepalese, when we were sat having a water break on the walk he said 'lets go little sister' to me, we will both miss Ishaw, he has beent he most knowledgable guide ever. We drank Mountain dew from a class bottle...apparently it is popular here. I love riding in an open top jeep. Dinner at sunset is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment