Sunday 13 March 2011

Avoid NHYOKHA street...

The Durbar square was busy, but nice, it charged a friendly 300rs for tourists. I showed my youth travel card determined not to miss a discount and was asked by the ticketeer, "You work for UNESCO?"

If I lie will I get in for free?


I said, "no" and paid up. Honesty is one of my big downfalls, I could have lied easy as pie, but then one of the most irritating of the little voices in my head would have ferociously piped up and spun me some line about dishonesty and karma, that voice has probably cost me many things.

The Durbar square is full of ornate stupas and buildings.
Spectacular!
We also saw lots of pigeons, a cow, some sparrows, some chickens, a crow and more Kites (may have confused others in the square by looking up to the sky for a long time). I am looking forwards to seeing a lot more animals and plants as we go...might look for an identification book...I would either like to be or be with Steve Backshall.

 Walking back from the square I remember my brain has one area of use, I am like a human sat. nav. I recently discovered this skill and am starting to hone it (not a bad super power really), the streets of Kathmandu will be no match for me!  So out of concern I make Alicia lead, I am worried about her lack of internal mapping in the event of separation...she chose the wrong way...we will work on this.

The journey lead us down, Nhyokha street (I think) and as we were passing a shop a waterbomb hit me, on our way back one hit us both, a nepali girl smiled in a way as if to say 'sorry', but also 'hahahahaha losers'. AVOID NHYOKHA. Most likely they are opportunists preparing for Holi. Other annoyances we have discovered are: everyone charges more to tourists, young men pretend they are going to drive into you on their bikes then swerve away shouting and laughing, there is a man on the corner who has offered me the same peacock featherd fan every time I walk past even though every time I clearly say "NO". It's a lovely fan but peacock feathers are considered unlucky in England and I choose not to mess with powers beyond my control.

Walking through Thamel, Alicia stopped to look at a restaurant. Oblivious and about ten yard ahead a shop man stopped me, even though I had just walked past saying 'No' because I thought he was trying to make a sale, he said, "Don't lose friend", pointing back at Alicia. What a lovely man. Next time we walked past he shouted, "Hold on to her!" and then later he said, "Don't lose friend!" laughing. I am happy to see even on different continents people have taken note that we are a bit of a joke.

We had our dinner at Yak restaurant, it was ok, not as nice as the food from Annapurna guesthouse. We paid about 490rs for the two of us. The prices here make me want to gorge on food.
The Feast

Pulpy
This morning we attempted to find the bus station to get tickets to Dumre, after checking the tourist greenline bus price of 18USD (a complete rip) we began trundling towards the main bus park...we couldn't remember the way without checking the map and didn't want to wack it out and attract unwanted attention so went back to hotel and thought we may as well, for convenience, get it there. It cost 10USD each which is definitely pricey for Nepal but still cheaper than a return to Lincoln from Sleaford and a hell of a lot easier than battling to the bus station. We leave at 6.30am tomorrow, five hours, and then we hopefully land in Dumre to set forth on a three hour hike to Bandipur. I am immensely looking forwards to getting out of the city, I'm hoping Elvis isn't too heavy and that we don't vomit on the bus.
Much love xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment