Thursday 24 March 2011

Namaste India. please dont rip us off.

24/03/2011
Our arrival in India was somewhat traumatic.

Crossing the border at Sonauli there is very little aid if you are doing it this way around, also we had our biggest boo boo yet by trying to change some money into Indian rupees...do this on the nepalese side if you ever go as the absolute ****heads ripped us off in india by about double the exchange rate without any sort of help from the guards at the tiny stinky un-official looking border crossing office. Sonauli is a mass of traffic and nothing else other than a lot of people shouting things at you. We wanted to get out asap...as you can imagine i was already pretty fuming.

In general i am not a very angrey person EVER, I am more likely to well up with unnecessary tears or have a little bottom-lip-out grump, rarely do I get to the state of ANGER. Here, we were ushered in to a jeep to take us to gorakhpur, we got in they took our bags and then proceeded to do nothing...and nothing...i slowly got more and more frustrated to the point where I could no longer take it. Marching, complete with angry face, out of the jeep I turned to the group of men 'I want my rucksack, we are getting the bus' 'bus takes 4 hours' 'i dont care, give me my rucksack' 'no, no it ok', turning to the luggage man on the roof 'GIVE ME MY RUCKSACK NOW! WE ARE GETTING THE BUS'. thinking back, and after alicia's 'erm, dude are you ok' I may have over reacted as the previous day I had quite happily waited an excessive amount of time for the bus to move, but in the moment I was one unhappy bunny, Alicia tells me they all looked terrified, but at least i got our rucksacks. We ended up taking a different jeep anyway and I have had no further out bursts...alicia on the other hand seems to be getting less and less tolerant as the days go by. the trauma continues in Gorakhpur




No comments:

Post a Comment