Saturday 12 March 2011

"Eeerm, where's Elvis?"

Finally my backpack has a name: Elvis.
Together we are Giselvis.

We board our plane from Heathrow terminal 4, without a hitch. Both Elvis and the other backpack wieghed in exactly the same so we can not argue over weight. I will now gladly recommend Jet Airways because they were brilliant and even had two handsome air hosts. Bonus eye-candy is never lost on me. On the plane we were given hot face clothes, I was entertained to see a woman in next isle unashamedly cleaning her armpits with it, I check no one is watching and give mine a secret little wipe.  We meet her again later. It is time to sit back and relax. Prior to your flight one thing they refrain from making clear is that you should sleep loads before you fly so that you can stay awake and watch all the films (its also pretty difficult to get a decent stretch of sleep in through the night), we watched the Kings Speech, wonderful!

After a brief stop in Delhi, where I managed to spend 700rs (approx £9) on a bottle of water and a Limca , we hopped onto our flight to Kathmandu. We were tired, Alicia was irritated by my incompetence, but we still managed to have a beer and admire the mountains closing in.

First sight of Nepal

The dread happened when at Kathmandu luggage collection Elvis did not appear!!!! My mind kept reminding me of a story I'd heard about a girl who lost hers and apparently had the 'best time she'd ever had' without it. It did not console me. I frantically wondered around the small luggage belt, praying, as you do in such situations regardless of religious inclination. Thankfully, without having to ask for help (we dont want help as it most likely comes with a price) we found Elvis, he was a lying a little ruffled under a pile of luggage that someone had obviously not wanted on the conveyerbelt. Elvis I love you.

Our taxi provided by Annapurna guesthouse (in Thamel), which is where we are staying, was prompt and when we got in, who should be sat next to us but armpit cleaning lady! It turns out she is a Professor Shirly Hodgson, doing some medical lectures out here. I assume they are focussed on hygiene, hence the body cleaning demonstration. An interesting and nice lady.

Arriving in Thamel, Kathmandu after only a few hours sleep is probably one of the worst ways to introduce yourself to Asia. As expected it is unlike anywhere I have ever been. Describing it for those who have not stepped into the insanity of an Asian City, is to imagine the hustle bustle of a festival environment then cram it into spaces that feel a bit like the underground at rush hour with no roof, fill it with people and signs not in your mother tongue and then throw in loads of cars and motorbikes, some men on rickshaws (bicycle drawn chariots), a few dogs, a few chickens, cows, a dead rat, horrendous overhead wiring then cover it with dust and anything else you can find and fancy throwing in to the mix.

Traffic rules in abundance.
Wonderful wiring.
Between Thamel and the Durbar square.
 Today it seems exciting. Last night I got into the guesthouse room (which isn't too bad at all)  and felt more than a little bit confused by life. I reminded myself of a guy we met on the plane who looked terrified and was going to Delhi on his own with no plan, the thought of how he might be feeling made me feel better. Sorry to the dude for letting your misery bring me a little bit of happiness. At this point I believe Alicia was thinking something along the lines of, 'Why do I ever listen to or participate in Giselle's stupid ideas!' Thankfully we decided  to go up to the roof terrace, here, relief from that Oh Shit feeling came, we stood and saw the sun peering over the mountains and the most beautiful Kite (bird of prey) gliding above us...my secret love as many people know is bird watching, I should maybe have considered ornothology as a career. Feeling Alicia's excitement rekindle a little and, breathing a sigh of relief, we watched the sun silhouette the mountains, setting over the  rooftops of Kathmandu.


The first of many sunsets

I am totally glad I'm here.

Back in the guesthouse we met a curious Dutch man, who apparently is stuck here because he hurt his ankle trekking up some old route he used 20yrs ago. He is very angry about the road they are currently building and many other things. He told us it is heaven here compared to India and that India was heaven compared to Pakistan. Interesting, almost advice. He is one of many people so far who have asked us if we are going trekking and said that we can trust no one because everything is for money. We have also been asked why we are not going to Shri Lanka or Australia. If I had more than an Indian Budget, I'd be going everywhere. 

For our first day we are heading to the Kathmandu's Durbar Square, aiming to walk so lets hope we don't get lost!

Thankyous again,
Kev  - Thankyou sooooo much for sponsoring me you are amazing!
Dude going straight to Delhi on his own...I hope you are now having an wonderful time!

No comments:

Post a Comment